Tuesday, February 23, 2010

If you really love someone, you'll let them free




O Franz, why have you forsaken me??

Should you really let go of something you love? Or perhaps you should find a way to deal with the pain, and hopefully a way to ignore annoying cliches such as these.

Since you don't have control over so many things in life, like the sudden departure of Franz Nicolay from the Hold Steady, it's important to find things that are consistent and make you happy.

Yes, you read that correctly - Franz left the Hold Steady a few weeks ago and I think I'm finally over it. Though I did watch this video and tear up a little, I know he's on to bigger and better (actually, just....different) things.

Lesson #19: One never truly can prepare for sudden life changes like these, and living in a place like NYC makes it all the more difficult to keep the stress to a minimum. That's why you need to find a few things that make you incredibly blissful and for God's sake, hold on to them and don't let them free.

For instance, here are a few things that make me beyond happy: the fake cheese popcorn at LifeThyme, tap dancing (which apparently Franz is also into), and currently number one on my list: Crossword Sundays with my amazing pal Ryan. They're beyond fantastic, in a way that very few might understand. I look forward to it all week, am in a state of bliss during it, then the high wears off only a few days later.

Now, I'm not encouraging anyone to take up my habits (I swear, I'm not referencing drugs in any of the above) but if you want to stay sane, and learn to deal with sad changes, then find the things that make you smile. As in stop reading this blog and figure out what it is that makes you glow! Unless of course this blog is your idea of ecstasy. Then read away, my fellow logophile - I'll try to not make it another 2 weeks until your next fix.

6 comments:

  1. :)

    Most folks have church, you and I have crossword Sundays. The common thread being that they are both decidedly religious experiences. Very few would or could understand, indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's like a church of fun, games, words, and hard work. also we don't go to Hell if we mess up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Right on. There's only heaven on crossword sunday. I guess the week leading up to it would then be purgatory though. But, we avoid hell completely and that's the important thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, one things for sure...which is that we won't be in limbo anytime soon. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/5406552.stm
    After all, I'm no unbaptized infant!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's the best news I've gotten all year!!

    ReplyDelete