Saturday, April 3, 2010

Disturbia


We gotta stay positive!

I'm currently in the eye of the storm, happily sandwiched between two Hold Steady shows. Last night was the Hold Steady's kickoff night of their tour, held in the scenic Ardsley New York. The show was absolutely incredible, and held in probably the most interesting venue I've seen them in: Life, the place to be.

It was indeed the place to be last night, but I would argue that's the first and probably last time that's been said about Ardsley. Though it's just an hour north of the city, the train stop was one of the most desolate areas - we were told it'd be "so easy to get a cab" from the stop to the venue.

It wasn't.

After departing the train, we waited and waited in at the train stop calling at least 10 taxi companies. We finally realized there was literally one cab working that night. There are few things I like to do more than talk to other Hold Steady fans, which we did while waiting, but my anxiety began to wear on me.

We wandered to the only building around to ask the security guard if she had any tips. After seeing a few ominous signs, we realized that we were waiting directly next to a mental institution.

Though I'm not a smoker, I thought deeply about taking up the habit at that moment given the stress of the situation. Lost in Ardsley, next to a mental institution, all while possibly missing the Hold Steady? I can only handle so much!

Luckily, I didn't need to start up a new habit, or check myself into the mental institution. The lone cab made trips back and forth, so we made it to our destination just as my sanity was about to break. Through the stress, I did learn one major lesson:

Lesson #23 when moving to a big city: Suburbs are the same where ever you go - just because they're outside a big metropolitan area doesn't mean they're going to be any cooler, or have more than one taxi per 5 mile radius. I honestly assumed that any place within a couple hours of NYC must have either public transit available, and at least a small fleet of cabs. Not the case.

I would say the moral here is to plan in advance and have your transportation figured out when traveling outside of the city. Or just never leave New York City, I suppose.

3 comments:

  1. As a former resident of Ardsley, I'm glad to see you aren't a citizen of my fair childhood town. Sorry it didn't work for your hipster needs. On the bright side, it meant Ardsley missed out on trucker hats and PBR swilling artists papering the walls for their crappy little garage bands, hoping to someday be a household name in their own household, and will continue to not be hip. C'est la vie.

    Regarding your trip: First up, you wouldn't be taking the train into Ardsley - either you'd go to Scarsdale or, best for this case, Dobbs Ferry. Ardsley hasn't had a train station for well over forty years.
    Second, the village of Ardsley is EIGHT miles from the NY border. From the high school, we could see the Empire State Building. I could get to midtown (non-peak traffic times) by car in a half hour or less. However, by train, it would be about an hour. It's not like it's something you'd need to pack an overnight bag.
    Third, seriously, get over yourself. You fucked up in planning, so clearly it's suburbia's fault. Riiiiiiight. You expect every place to be just like the cool hip area you live, so every need of yours that is catered to must be a universal thing. There's a word for it: entitled. There's another word: self-absorbed.

    Have a great life. On behalf of Ardsley's residents, don't come back now, ya hear?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to see this evoked such a strong response. I just have 2 points to make:

    1. I don't deny that we fucked up in planning. However, file these under also fucking up: online directions, and the music venue in Ardsley that gave us the exact same directions and mentioned how many cabs there'd be.
    2. Maybe my ironic, hipster tone wasn't apparent enough in this blog, but I grew up in the 'burbs too. My main point has nothing to do with Ardsley itself, and if anything, I like it more than other suburbs for catering to my entitled music needs.

    Most importantly, PBR was much cheaper in Ardsley than anywhere in the city.

    ReplyDelete