Sunday, April 25, 2010

A Slight Discomfort


The other night, I had the privilege of seeing the Hold Steady two times in a night. Life was good. Or, rather, incredible.

The only issue was that I got really into the show, and somehow my gum ended up in my hair (hey, it happens to the best of us). I was able to ascertain that it was indeed my gum, and not a random concert-goer's. I mean, I love other Hold Steady fans...but I have to draw the line somewhere. I noticed the gum while it was still freshly fused with my hair (which had also been misted with beer and decorated with glitter, naturally). My immediate priority was to watch the show instead of tend to my hair, which resulted in a tangled mess.

By the time the second show ended, I was deliriously happy, but also in a bit of a predicament. There I was, in Williamsburg at 2am, gum in my hair and wandering around like a lost puppy. Luckily, my friend Ryan was with me and talked some sense into me. I was ready to find the nearest pair of scissors and end it (the gum in hair dilemma, of course).

Ryan came through as he always does, with two simple words: Peanut Butter. "But I'm not hungry," I declared triumphantly. He sighed and cleverly explained that Peanut Butter will get gum out of hair, which I hadn't remembered in my time of distress. This taught me the following:

Lesson #26: No matter where you're living, conventional wisdom will help you out when you're....stuck. There are simple fixes that are easy to forget if you haven't had to employ them since you were five years old (seriously, how does a 25 year old get gum in her hair? Oh, maybe drinking had to do with it). The important thing is to think calmly in times of distress and don't jump to assuming the worst. Sure, some conventional wisdom is cliche and no longer relevant, but I'm personally vouching for Peanut Butter's effectiveness.

I would've been really upset if I woke up and realized I had chopped some of my hair off at 2am, but instead I awoke with the delicious scent of Peanut Butter surrounding me and my pillow. And also, Oh My God does it make your hair silky smooth. I now have a favorite new hair product, and it's Peanut Butter (hey, at least I'm not this guy.)

I'm glad that I didn't have a roommate to judge me - but now that I've made the gum mishap public, feel free to judge. But if you haven't tried Peanut Butter in your hair, I will leave you with (the oh so cliche): don't knock it 'til you try it.

4 comments:

  1. You forgot the parts about the stampede of hungry antelope that almost trampled us on bedford ave. after the show when they caught scent of the freshly chewed gum in your hair and the ravenous protesters representing out-of-work peanut farmers that just happened to be outside of the corner store where you bought the peanut butter, one of whom swung a gigantic polo mallet that just missed my head and somehow caught the tip of your right pinkie finger when you had the crazy notion of trying to save me swatting it away (I guess you felt superhumanly strong after seeing the hold steady twice). I'll never be able to thank you enough for that, by the way.

    Lesson #26a: Antelope love freshly chewed gum and hanging out in Williamsburg on Saturday nights.

    Lesson #26b: Stories involving back to back concerts with your favorite band and that ultimately result with gum in your hair will inevitably result in outlandish embellishment from those who can claim to have witnessed the experience. A very specific lesson, but an important one, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoyed the PB story. I am not sure I ever knew that and if I did I forgot. I would have woken up with a chunk of hair missing.
    Marmie

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete